I’ve been thinking about this lately. I feel like there are 5 types of women who can benefit from from having pockets in their clothing. So, let me describe these 5 types of women. You may relate to one or all types. If you don’t fit into one of these types, don’t fret, just let me know and I’ll be sure to include you. Because at the end of the day, I believe every woman can benefit from pockets!
- The college student. Why? It’s simple, who wants to carry around a backpack, laptop bag, or a purse? Or a handbag that’s an all-in-one… purse, school bag, laptop bag where you have to shuffle around to find your phone, keys, or wallet? Wouldn’t it be nice if you had a cardigan with pockets? Or if your jeans had more functional pockets? And when you want to go out at night, wouldn’t it be so much simpler to not have to carry a wristlet or a purse? During my college days (I feel so old right now), I carried 5 things: my ID, credit card, phone, lipgloss, and keys. I never wanted to carry a purse, so wristlet it was. I can’t even tell you how many times I would lose my wristlet. Thank goodness it somehow always found its way back to me! Don’t get me wrong though, pockets definitely wouldn’t work on those bodycon dresses and skirts, but oh would it have worked really well on some of my other super cute outfits!
- The working woman. When I was working, my job required me to attend a bunch of weekly meetings. Pockets were my best friend! I remember always being called into last minute meetings and shuffling around to make sure I had that notepad, pen, phone, and water bottle. The days I didn’t have pockets, I noticed I would end up leaving things behind, like my pen or my phone and feeling so unprepared during those meetings.
Restroom trips without pockets was the next most frustrating thing for me, especially during Aunt Flo’s visit. Like, how do I discretely take my personal hygiene products with me? When I didn’t have pockets, I would slip them under my sleeve, in my bra, or behind my back pants. Whatever creative way works, right?
- The mommas. It doesn’t matter if you are a stay at home mom, or a working mom, the bottom line is, you’re a mom. There are toys everywhere, the kids are hungry, they’re thirsty, they want you to hold them, they want you to play with them, and the list goes on. When I’m with my son, I don’t have time to keep track of my phone. I can’t tell you how many times I have missed phone calls and messages because my phone has been laying around in some random place in the house where I could have sworn I never was. On top of that, small things are usually lying around randomly throughout the house because I just don’t have enough hands carrying a child in one hand and other things in another. From tissues to wiping off those boogies to favorite toy cars that my child can’t live without. I always need pockets in my joggers or cardigan when I’m at home.
- The minimalist. I have several friends who really don’t care to carry a handbag. But what I find is that there are always 3 things that they’re constantly misplacing: keys, wallet, and phone. All of which would fit perfectly in pockets. Unless you have one of those huge, bulky wallets… But that’s another topic. But if you’re like many women who hate having to carry a handbag around, then you would definitely benefit from having pockets in your outfits. A lot of times, as a mom, I find myself to be a minimalist. I feel like I carry so much for my child, that when thinking about carrying my own belongings, the less is better. Whether it’s my jeans, cardigan, or t-shirt dress, if it has pockets, it’s all I need!
- The fashionista. A lot of my social media posts are of me wearing dressy dresses. As a mom and a working professional, sometimes those aren’t always practical attire. However, I sometimes like to dress up and wear vintage-like dresses with pockets. I get it, it’s not practical for most women, but if it’s your brand or if dresses and skirts are your thing, then you definitely deserve those pockets as well!
Now that you’ve heard my take on how pockets are for everyone, I want to hear from you and your thoughts. Can all of you relate to one of these categories or am I leaving anyone out? I would love to hear from you all!